Toyota plans to invest over Rs 2,000 crore in India
Denying reports of non-expansion in the country due to higher taxes, the company said it plans to invest Rs 2,000 crore in developing vehicle technology and electric components.

NEW DELHI: Japanese carmaker Toyota Kirloskar on Tuesday said that they continue to remain committed to the Indian market and their operations in the country is an integral part of their global strategy. Denying reports of non-expansion in the country due to higher taxes, the company said it plans to invest Rs 2,000 crore in developing vehicle technology and electric components.
“The news that Toyota Company will stop investing in India is incorrect. vikram kirloskar has clarified that Toyota will invest more than Rs 2,000 crore in next 12 months,” Union minister Prakash Javadekar tweeted. Responding to the tweet, Vikram Kirloskar, vice-chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motor( TKM) said, “Absolutely! We are investing Rs 2,000+ cr in electric components and technology for the domestic customer and export.
We are committed to the future of India and will continue to put all effort in society, environment, skilling and technology.” The report was not taken lightly by the Indian government as it undermines its effort to attract investment in the country, especially from manufacturers who are looking to exit China. The Centre is planning to shell out incentives worth $23 billion to attract manufacturers to set-up plans in India.
For the Covid-hit auto sector, the government has already promised looking at high GST rates and rolling out incentive-based scrappage policy by September end. Earlier in the day, TKM in a statement said that its first step is to ensure full capacity utilization of what it has created and this will take time.
It added that in wake of the slowdown, further exaggerated by the Covid-19 impact, the automobile industry has requested the government for support through a viable tax structure. TOM’s market share in the last one year has fallen from five per cent to below five per cent share in the domestic passenger vehicle market. The sector is dominated largely by Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai Motors.
IN This COVID-19 Crises Surat builder accommodates 42 poor families in his buildings
SURAT: In a noble gesture, a Surat-based builder has accommodated 42 families, who are facing a financial crisis due to COVID-19 and are unable to pay rent, at his constructed buildings by charging only Rs 1,500 as maintenance amount.
Prakash Bhalani has given shelter to many families in need in his own constructed building named Rudraksh Lake Palace. He believes that it is his chance to pay back to the society and community by helping them amid the current crisis.
“My husband’s business was not doing well so we were not able to pay our rent. Our landlord asked us to leave the house. Later, we were leaving for our village and meanwhile, we came across an advertisement of Rudraksh Lake Palace. We then contacted its builder,” said Asha
Gujarat: Prakash Bhalani, a Surat based builder has accommodated 42 families who are facing financial crisis due to covid19 & are unable to pay rent, at his constructed buildings. He says, “We are charging Rs 1500 as maintenance fee. People can stay here as long as they want.
“He invited us to stay here with Rs 1,500 maintenance cost. We are allowed to stay here for as long as we want. We are really happy. The builder is just like a god to us,” she added.
Speaking to ANI, Bhalani said that people here can reside here for as long as they want. They do not have a time limit to vacate the flat.
“During the phase of Unlock 1, just after the lockdown lifted, people were still struggling at work. Many of them did not have work. Their businesses were affected. They are still struggling to make ends meet. Many of them were not able to pay rent,” said Bhalani.
“A resident of Surat city requested me to give me a room to keep his luggage as he was shifting to his village. I gave him a room and thought that so many people like him must be in a need of shelter,” he added.
Later, the builder spread the word via social media following which many people approached him in search of shelter.
“We take Rs 1,500 only as maintenance amount in which they are getting WiFi and water facility along with other necessities. We do not take any rent. As many as 42 people are residing here and many more are still joining,” said Bhalani.
“There are a total of 92 flats here and the remaining flats will also be given to the people in need. They can reside here for as long as they want,” he added.
Kannada actor-couple Diganth-Aindrita depose before CCB in drug case
BENGALURU: Kannada film actors Diganth Manchale and Aindrita Ray on Wednesday appeared before the Central Crime Branch (CCB) in connection with the drug case.
The CCB, which is probing the drug abuse in the Kannada film industry, had issued notice to the actor-couple on Tuesday.
In a tweet, the couple had said, “We have received a telephonic notice from the Central Crime Branch for an ongoing enquiry at 11 am tomorrow (Wednesday). We will be present and fully cooperate with the CCB.”
The development comes a day after the police raided the lavish resort-bungalow of Aditya Alva, son of former minister late Jeevaraj Alva, in the city.
The CCB has already arrested actresses Ragini Dwivedi and Sanjjanaa Galrani along with seven others while it is on the lookout for at least seven more in this connection.
Suresh Raina’s relatives murder case solved, 3 members of inter-state gang arrested
Punjab DGP confirmed that 3 members of an inter-state gang of robber-criminals were nabbed whereas the search for 11 absconders is on.
CHANDIGARH: Punjab Police has solved the case of attack and murder involving cricketer Suresh Raina’s kin with the arrest of three members of an inter-state gang of robber-criminals, while eleven other are yet to be arrested as over 100 alleged suspects were questioned by the police.
Raina’s uncle Ashok Kumar a contractor had died on the spot, while his cousin brother Kaushal Kumar succumbed to injuries on August 31 and his aunt (father’s sister) Asha Rani is in hospital in critical condition. Two others injured in the attack had been discharged from hospital.
Punjab DGP Dinkar Gupta said, “three alleged accused have been arrested and eleven other accused are yet to be arrested in the case which took place on the intervening night of August 19 and 20 in Tharyal village in Pathankot. More than 100 suspected persons were joined in the investigation.”
Soon after the incident, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) was formed under IGP Border Range at Amritsar with SSP Pathankot, SP Investigation and DSP Dhar Kalan as its members, to investigate the case thoroughly and expeditiously. The SIT, during the investigation, gathered all the circumstantial and physical evidence related to the case.
On September 15, the SIT received information that three suspects, who were seen at the Defence Road on the morning after the incident were staying in Jhuggis near the Pathankot Railway Station. A raid was conducted and all three were nabbed.
According to the Gupta, a gold ring bearing AK, one Ladies Ring, one Ladies Gold chain and Rs. 1530/- was recovered, along with two wooden sticks, were recovered from the arrested accused, identified as Sawan
Initial investigation has revealed that they were operating as a gang along with others and had committed several such crimes earlier in Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and various parts of Punjab, moving to the crime spots in groups of two to three following the natural landmarks like Canals, railway lines, high voltage electricity wires.
“Sawan originally a native of Uttar Pradesh, has told the SIT that on August 12 they had moved as a group from Chirawa and Pilani in an auto owned by one Nausau, also living in the Chirawa jhuggis. Nausau accompanied the trio, along with Rashid, Rehan, Jabrana, Waphila, Tawajjal Bibi and an unknown person.
They reached Jagraon, Ludhiana, where they were joined by three others Reenda, Golu and Sajan. They purchased an Aari, two pliers and one screw driver from a hardware shop and few Kacha Banyan (under garments) from garment shop in Ludhiana.
They left for Pathankot after committing a robbery in Jagraon on the night of August 14, ‘’ said Gupta.
Senior Superintendent of Police of Pathankot, Gulneet Khurana said,“ In Pathankot, one Sanju, who knew the area well, also joined them, the gang conducted a recee of the area. On the night of August 19 at around 7 pm, they moved in groups of two to three persons, as per their modus operandi, and reached a designated spot in the open field where Rashid, Nausau and Sanju went to bring wooden sticks which they cut from Safeda (Eucalyptus) tree.
During recce, they had already identified a shuttering shop, where the bamboo ladders were tied up using chains. The first two houses where they put the ladders turned out to be a godown and an empty home, while the third was of Ashok Kumar. Five of the accused entered the house using the ladder from the side of the roof, where they saw three people lying on the mats. The suspects hit them on the head before moving into the house, where they attacked two others before escaping with cash and gold ornaments.’’
“The accused then crossed the high tension electricity wires through the open field to reach the Canal, where they separated in groups of twos and threes to reach the railway station. After distributing the cash and jewellery among themselves, they dispersed. Further investigations are in progress to arrest the eleven absconders, including one identified person, and solve other robberies in which the gang members were involved,’’ said Gupta.
While today Raina reached Pathankot to meet his relatives.
Kerala govt allows migrant labourers with COVID-19 to work if they’re asymptomatic
The new directive came close on the heels of a note from the Industries Secretary that the present quarantine norms are causing a delay in the completion of infrastructure projects in the state\
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: At a time when COVID-19 cases are witnessing a spike and the situation is predicted to worsen, the state government has come out with a bizarre decision by allowing migrant labourers with COVID-19 to work if they are asymptomatic. They can work in places exclusively marked for them by taking all precautions, said the government.
As per a directive issued in this regard by the General Administration Department (GAD), such workers shouldn’t mix with any other workers or officers when they are on duty. Also, their stay and food arrangements have to be made as per COVID First-Line Treatment Centre guidelines. The arrangement and responsibility for this rest with the contractor of the project.
The new directive came close on the heels of a note from the Industries Secretary that the present quarantine norms are causing a delay in the completion of infrastructure projects in the state. The directive as released by GAD secretary Satyajeet Rajan also details the new quarantine norms and registration in the Jagratha portal.
“Guest workers who reach the state shall remain in quarantine for 14 days. Guest workers coming without a testing certificate may undergo testing on the fifth day using antigen test with the cost borne by the contractor. If any of them are found positive, they need to be segregated,” reads an excerpt of the directive.
It also added that if any of the asymptomatic COVID positive workers develop any symptoms like fever, cough, sore throat, diarrhoea, loss of smell, breathlessness or others, they shall be immediately referred to the COVID hospital on the very same day.
The directive also highlights that registration on the COVID-19 Jagratha portal is mandatory for bringing guests/specialised/essential workers to the state.
Karnataka to borrow Rs 33k crore more to cover revenue loss
In effect, this will allow the state to raise an additional Rs 36,000 crore in loans without violating fiscal discipline under the KFRA.

BENGALURU: With the Covid-19-induced lockdown severely affecting revenues, the Karnataka Cabinet on Tuesday approved an amendment to the Karnataka Fiscal Responsibility Act (KFRA) to increase the state’s borrowing limit to 5 per cent of GSDP instead of the existing 3 per cent. In effect, this will allow the state to raise an additional Rs 36,000 crore in loans without violating fiscal discipline under the KFRA.
The State Cabinet has also approved plans to borrow Rs 33,000 crore out of the enhanced borrowing limit which will be spent not just as capital investment, but also as expenditure on development activities that have been stalled due to shortage of funds. The amendment Bill will be introduced in the upcoming Assembly session.
The Centre, in May, increased reform-linked borrowing limit for states from 3 per cent to 5 per cent for the 2020-2021 fiscal, anticipating a loss of revenue. “An amendment will be made to Section 4 of the Fiscal Responsibility Act to allow additional borrowing up to 5 per cent of GSDP.
We will borrow Rs 33,000 crore as a one-time measure. Currently, our borrowing is at about Rs 40,000-47,000 crore and an additional Rs 33,000 crore will be fresh loans. We generally borrow only for capital expenditure but this additional loan will be used for development activities too,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister J C Madhuswamy told reporters. He acknowledged that various development activities had been stalled due to dearth of funds, but added that the government had not run out of funds.
Section 4 of the KFRA deals with Fiscal Management Principles to ensure state debts, guarantees and liabilities are maintained at prudent levels. Three fiscal parameters of the KFRA mandate adequate revenue surplus, total liabilities to be under 25 per cent of GSDP and fiscal deficit to be under 3 per cent of the GSDP. The estimated fiscal deficit for Karnataka for 2020-2021, as per the budget speech, was 2.55 per cent of the GSDP. With the borrowing limit raised to 5 per cent, the state will be able to borrow more without violating fiscal norms.In his 2020-2021 budget speech, Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa had estimated total borrowings at Rs 52,918 crore. But, in the lockdown scenario, the state has opted for additional borrowing.
Sources in the Finance Department told TNIE that despite the additional borrowing, the state may see a considerable loss of receipts. Revenue loss for this fiscal is expected to be more than the additional borrowing. Minister Madhuswamy said that state will borrow from existing sources. Karnataka usually borrows from the Centre , open market, LIC, NSSF, NCDC, RIDF, etc. With the GST Council too asking states to opt for borrowing to offset losses arising out of GST compensation shortfall, Karnataka has told the council that it would prefer to borrow Rs 11,324 crore through a special window facilitated by the GST Council from the RBI at a reasonable rate of interest (yet to be fixed). Under this option, the principle and interest repayment will come out of compensation cess after 2022 when the first five years of the GST regime ends. A final decision on this is pending since other states have opposed the GST Council’s suggestion.
Security around Bachchans’ Mumbai residence stepped up after Jaya’s statements in Rajya Sabha
Mumbai Police said that the security has been enhanced as a precautionary measure after actor turned politician Jaya Bachchan in a fiery speech slammed those who are tarnishing the industry’s image.
MUMBAI: Mumbai Police on Wednesday stepped up the security around celebrity couple Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan’s Mumbai residence – Jalsa.
Mumbai Police said that the security has been enhanced as a precautionary measure after actor turned politician Jaya Bachchan in a fiery speech slammed those who are tarnishing the film industry’s image in the Upper House of the Parliament.
Without naming BJP MP Ravi Kishan who had on Monday raised the issue of the use of drugs in the film industry, Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan on Tuesday stated that she was “ashamed that yesterday one of our members in the Lok Sabha, who is from the film industry, spoke against it.”
The lawmaker also said the government should stand by the entertainment industry when some people are trying to tarnish its image. She also added people working in the entertainment industry are being “flogged” by social media.
Jaya Bachchan, a four-time Rajya Sabha MP had on Tuesday given a zero hour notice in the Upper House over an alleged conspiracy to defame the film industry.
Japan parliament elects Yoshihide Suga new prime minister

Suga, 71, won an easy victory, taking 314 votes of 462 valid ballots cast in the lower house of parliament, where his ruling Liberal Democratic Party holds a commanding majority with its coalition par
TOKYO: Japan’s parliament on Wednesday elected Yoshihide Suga prime minister, with the former chief cabinet secretary expected to stick closely to policies championed by Shinzo Abe during his record-breaking tenure.
“According to the results, our house has decided to name Yoshihide Suga prime minister,” lower house speaker Tadamori Oshima told parliament after the votes were counted.
Suga, 71, won an easy victory, taking 314 votes of 462 valid ballots cast in the lower house of parliament, where his ruling Liberal Democratic Party holds a commanding majority with its coalition partner.
He bowed deeply as lawmakers applauded following the announcement, but made no immediate comment.
He is expected to announce his cabinet later Wednesday, with local media reporting he will retain a number of ministers from Abe’s government.
Suga has said he will prioritise keeping coronavirus infections under control and kickstarting Japan’s economy, and has promised to continue Abe’s key policy programmes.
Basavaraj Bommai becomes latest Karnataka minister to test positive for COVID-19
Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai is the fourth minister who tested positive in the last week.

BENGALURU: One minister from BS Yediyurappa’s cabinet tested COVID-19 positive. This time Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai tested positive on Wednesday. Ahead of assembly sessions next week, he is the fourth minister who tested positive in the last week.
In his tweet, Bommai said one of the employees tested positive on Tuesday. “I too got tested and found out to be positive. I have no symptoms. I will be under home Quarantine” he tweeted. On Monday urban development minister tested positive, on the next day, Food and civil Minister tested positive. Animal husbandry minister Prabhu Chavan tested positive last wee
Legislators sessions will begin in Karnataka from September 21 to Sep 30. Due to the ongoing pandemic, they have made it mandatory to get a negative test certificate to attend assembly sessions to all the legislators, officials, and media persons.
In the last couple of months, including CM Yediyurappa, health minister B Sriramulu, Kannada and culture minister CT Ravi, forest minister Anand Singh, cooperative minister ST Somashekar, agriculture minister BC Patil, rural development and panchayath Raj KS Eshwarappa, women and child minister Shashi Kala Jolie were also tested positive. Later they recovered and are back to the field. It can also be noted that the leader of Opposition Siddaramiah and KPCC President D K Shivakumar were also tested positive, both recovered.
This apart deputy CM Dr. Ashwathnarayan, medical education minister Dr. Sudhakar were under isolation after they came in touch with COVID positive people a few weeks back.
- « Previous Page
- 1
- …
- 996
- 997
- 998
- 999
- 1000
- …
- 2641
- Next Page »