• Home
  • About Us
  • Events
  • Submissions
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Nasheman Urdu ePaper

Nasheman

India's largest selling Urdu weekly, now also in English

  • News & Politics
    • India
    • Indian Muslims
    • Muslim World
  • Culture & Society
  • Opinion
  • In Focus
  • Human Rights
  • Photo Essays
  • Multimedia
    • Infographics
    • Podcasts
You are here: Home / Archives for News & Politics

Maharashtra govt approves over Rs 7,000 cr for water projects

August 1, 2018 by Nasheman


The Maharashtra government has approved over Rs 7,000 crore to complete the drinking water projects in scarcity-hit areas, state minister Babanrao Lonikar said.

The government is committed to providing water to all villages that are perennially dry, the water supply and sanitation minister said in a release issued last night. Under the National Rural Drinking Water Scheme, the government has approved a proposal of Rs 7,952 crore for completing 6,624 water projects in 10,583 villages, he said.

The jumbo proposal is aimed at the completion of works in Konkan, Nashik, Aurangabad, Amravati, Nagpur and Pune divisions. Nearly 6,500 projects have already been completed in the last four years by spending Rs 5,500 crore, Lonikar said.

During the last four years, the main emphasis was to complete the pending projects, he said. The water supply department ensured that funds were properly utilized and action was taken against district bodies misusing the money, he added.

Notably, the Marathwada region of Maharashtra is a perennially drought-hit area. The region received only 86 percent of its average rainfall last year, a senior revenue official had earlier said.

Filed Under: News & Politics

Stalin mourns death of 21 DMK members over Karunanidhi’s ill health

August 1, 2018 by Nasheman


DMK leader M.K. Stalin on Wednesday said he was shocked to learn about the reported death of 21 party cadres in shock and grief following the hospitalization of party leader M. Karunanidhi.

In a statement, Stalin urged the party members not to resort to activities that will lead to their death.

Karunanidhi’s son expressed his condolences to the families of the dead DMK members.

Citing the statement of Kauvery Hospital where the 94-year old veteran politician is admitted, Stalin said their leader’s health was normalizing.

On July 31, the hospital said Karunanidhi will have to be remain warded for an extended period owing to age-related health issues including altered liver function.

Karunanidhi, who was Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister for five times and who has never lost an election in the 13 times he has contested, was admitted to the Kauvery Hospital on July 28 following a drop in blood pressure.

“He was resuscitated and stabilized in the ICU (intensive care unit) and managed by a team of doctors and nurses,” the statement said.

“There was a setback on his clinical condition on July 29 due to difficulty in breathing. He responded well to medical management and his vital signs are gradually normalized,” it said.

According to the hospital, Karunanidhi continues to maintain his vital signs with active medical support.

Filed Under: News & Politics

CCTVs will expose human trafficking: Kejriwal

August 1, 2018 by Nasheman


CCTVs will expose human trafficking in Delhi, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Wednesday, alleging “a complete breakdown of law and order” in the capital.

In a series of tweets, the Aam Aadmi Party leader targeted the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Lt Governor Anil Baijal and Home Minister Rajnath Singh.

His comments came after the Delhi Commission for Women rescued 74 girls who were victims of human trafficking and were kept at various locations in Delhi.

“Complete breakdown of law and order in Delhi. Is it possible at such a large scale without collusion at the top? BJP, LG and Rajnathji ought to respond. People of Delhi feeling unsafe,” Kejriwal said.

“CCTV cameras will expose such crimes, the people behind it and make police accountable. If police were to give license for CCTV, will police ever give license to install CCTV cameras at such places? Never,” he added.

Filed Under: News & Politics

Don’t politicise NRC, it is not right: Rajnath

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday said the first complete draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) that was published on the day, is not the final list and urged the opposition not to politicise it.

“Whatever work is going on in the NRC, is happening under the supervision of the Supreme Court. To say that the government has done it, and it is inhuman and brutal…such allegations are baseless.

“It is not the right thing to say,” Rajnath Singh told the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour.

The first draft comprising the names of 2,89,83,677 people of Assam was published online by the Registrar General of India.

The Minister said: “There is no question of any coercive action against anyone. The NRC process is being carried out with complete fairness and transparency.”

Urging not to create panic, Singh also said that if anyone was not satisfied with the first draft of the NRC, that person would get an opportunity to file claims and objections as per provisions in the law and later also approach the Foreigner’s Tribunal.

“Some people are unnecessarily trying to create an atmosphere of fear. I want to assure all that there is no need for any apprehension or fear. Some misinformation is also being spread.

“The NRC process has been done impartially. Some people may not have been able to submit the necessary documents. They will get the full opportunity through Claims and Objections process.

“Definitely, they will get justice. There is no need to create panic unnecessarily,” Rajnath Singh said.

The senior BJP leader said: “Today NRC draft list has been published in Assam. I want to emphatically say that this is only a draft and not the final NRC.

“I want to clarify that even after the final NRC, every person will get an opportunity to approach the Foreigners Tribunal.”

Around 40 lakh people have been left out of the list. The first list of the NRC process was released in December 31 last year, in which around 1.9 crore people out of the total applications of 3.29 crore people were included.

“People whose names do not figure, they will get the opportunity for claims and objections after August 28.

“They can file it for two-three months based on the deadline which will be fixed. After that its disposal will begin. The Supreme Court will take a decision on it. We cannot do anything about it,” said Rajnath Singh.

“The disposal of claims and objections will take place at the higher administrative level,” he added.

Appealing to the House, the Minister said: “This is a very sensitive issue. Everyone should lend their support. I want to make it clear…you can express your anger…but let me tell you that government is not doing anything…everything is being done under the supervision of Supreme Court.”

“If you are saying so…, then I want to urge the House that the opposition should decide what is government’s role.

Don’t level baseless allegations. Such sensitive issues should not be unnecessarily politicised,” he added.

Filed Under: News & Politics

Dayanidhi Maran to face trial in telephone exchange case

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


Former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran is to face trial in the illegal telephone exchange case. The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed his plea challenging a Madras High Court order directing the trial court to frame charges against him.

Dismissing the petition by Maran against the High Court order, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Justice R. Banumathi and Justice Naveen Sinha said: “The allegation is that you were using all this (telephone exchange) for your brother’s business.

Dismissing the plea against the High Court order by Maran and three other BSNL officials, Justice Gogoi said in the order: “We are not inclined to interfere with the High Court order. Since the recording of our views may affect the trial, we refrain to do so.

As one of the officials accused in the matter sought to address the court, the bench said: “Go with your minister. There are serious charges against you.”

Filed Under: News & Politics

NIA searches Asiya Andrabi’s Srinagar house

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Monday searched the house of Asiya Andrabi, chief of the women’s separatist group ‘Dukhtaran-e-Milat’ (Daughters of Faith), here.

Police sources said an NIA team assisted by Jammu and Kashmir Police carried out the searches in Buchpora locality.

Andrabi and two of her associates, Fahmeeda Sofi and Nahida Nasreen, were arrested by the NIA and shifted to Delhi on July 6.

Filed Under: News & Politics

Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


The Rajya Sabha on Monday saw repeated disruptions over the Assam NRC issue and was adjourned for the day amid a ruckus in the post-lunch sitting.

Soon after the House met in the post-lunch sitting, the opposition members again raised the issue of NRC. Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu adjourned the House for 10 minutes to meet at 2.11 p.m.

But, as soon as the House was reconvened, the opposition MPs were again on their feet. Naidu then adjourned the House for the day amid the noise.

The Upper House earlier saw two adjournments in the morning over the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) issue whose final draft was released on Monday and which excludes more than 40 lakh persons.

Filed Under: News & Politics

Imran Khan will take oath as PM on August 11

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan has said that he will take oath as Prime Minister on August 11, the media reported on Monday.

Talking to the newly-elected members from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Islamabad, he said a decision regarding the nomination of the Chief Minister will be taken soon and in the best interest of the people, according to Radio Pakistan.

Although PTI has emerged as the single largest party in the National Assembly in the July 25 polls, it is short of numbers to form its government independently.

To meet the required number of votes, the PTI leadership has reportedly approached the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P), the Grand Democratic Alliance (GDA), PML-Quaid (PML-Q) and the Balochistan Awami Party (BAP), as well as Independents.

Meanwhile, former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and Bilawal Bhutto-led Pakistan Peoples Party agreed on a formulation of a “coordinated joint strategy” in an attempt to give a tough time to PTI in Parliament.

Filed Under: World

Modi meets leaders of Argentina, Angola

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi held bilateral meetings with the Presidents of Argentina and Angola on the sidelines of the 2018 BRICS Summit here, the External Affairs Ministry said on Friday.

“Discussed enhancing cooperation in trade and investment, agriculture and food processing and pharma,” MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar tweeted following the meeting that ended late on Thursday night.

Argentina will host the annual G20 Summit later in 2018.

In the meeting with Angolan President Joao Lourenco, the two sides discussed intensifying relations in trade and investment, agriculture and food processing, pharmaceuticals, oil and natural gas, Kumar said in a separate tweet.

On Thursday, following the 10th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) Summit here, a Johannesburg Declaration was issued calling for sustainable growth of global trade and expressing determination to work together to strengthen multilateralism.

Filed Under: News & Politics

Delhi CM monitoring Yamuna evacuation

July 30, 2018 by Nasheman


Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Monday directed his Transport Minister Kailash Gehlot to visit the people affected by the flood waters of the Yamuna river and ensure arrangements for the displaced people. The authorities, meanwhile, continued evacuating the affected people to safer places.

“Directed Kailash Gehlotji, Minister-in-charge, to visit the area along with all officers and ensure proper arrangements,” Kejriwal tweeted, attaching a news report about people complaining of “no arrangements from the Delhi government”.

Gehlot responded to Kejriwal’s tweet with: “Will visit this area around 9.30 a.m. along with Divisional Commissioner and other officers to ensure that all arrangements are in place,” Gehlot tweeted.

According to the Delhi government, over 1,000 families had been evacuated till Sunday morning.

The river’s water level rose to 205.66 meters on Monday morning due to water discharge from Haryana’s Hathnikund Barrage amid continuous rain in the catchment areas. It is expected to rise to 206.60 meters on July 31, a flood department official said.

Haryana had released 6,00,000 cusecs of water at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

The water released at Hathnikund barrage, which provides drinking water to New Delhi, normally takes 72 hours to reach the city.

Filed Under: News & Politics

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 1316
  • 1317
  • 1318
  • 1319
  • 1320
  • …
  • 1904
  • Next Page »

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

KNOW US

  • About Us
  • Corporate News
  • FAQs
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

GET INVOLVED

  • Corporate News
  • Letters to Editor
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh
  • Submissions

PROMOTE

  • Advertise
  • Corporate News
  • Events
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

Archives

  • July 2026 (2)
  • February 2026 (6)
  • January 2026 (12)
  • December 2025 (6)
  • November 2025 (8)
  • October 2025 (12)
  • September 2025 (25)
  • August 2025 (46)
  • July 2025 (110)
  • June 2025 (28)
  • May 2025 (14)
  • April 2025 (50)
  • March 2025 (35)
  • February 2025 (34)
  • January 2025 (43)
  • December 2024 (83)
  • November 2024 (82)
  • October 2024 (156)
  • September 2024 (202)
  • August 2024 (165)
  • July 2024 (169)
  • June 2024 (161)
  • May 2024 (107)
  • April 2024 (104)
  • March 2024 (222)
  • February 2024 (229)
  • January 2024 (102)
  • December 2023 (142)
  • November 2023 (69)
  • October 2023 (74)
  • September 2023 (93)
  • August 2023 (118)
  • July 2023 (139)
  • June 2023 (52)
  • May 2023 (38)
  • April 2023 (48)
  • March 2023 (166)
  • February 2023 (207)
  • January 2023 (183)
  • December 2022 (165)
  • November 2022 (229)
  • October 2022 (224)
  • September 2022 (177)
  • August 2022 (155)
  • July 2022 (123)
  • June 2022 (190)
  • May 2022 (204)
  • April 2022 (310)
  • March 2022 (273)
  • February 2022 (311)
  • January 2022 (329)
  • December 2021 (296)
  • November 2021 (277)
  • October 2021 (237)
  • September 2021 (234)
  • August 2021 (221)
  • July 2021 (237)
  • June 2021 (364)
  • May 2021 (282)
  • April 2021 (278)
  • March 2021 (293)
  • February 2021 (192)
  • January 2021 (222)
  • December 2020 (170)
  • November 2020 (172)
  • October 2020 (187)
  • September 2020 (194)
  • August 2020 (61)
  • July 2020 (58)
  • June 2020 (56)
  • May 2020 (36)
  • March 2020 (48)
  • February 2020 (109)
  • January 2020 (162)
  • December 2019 (174)
  • November 2019 (120)
  • October 2019 (104)
  • September 2019 (88)
  • August 2019 (159)
  • July 2019 (122)
  • June 2019 (66)
  • May 2019 (276)
  • April 2019 (393)
  • March 2019 (477)
  • February 2019 (448)
  • January 2019 (693)
  • December 2018 (736)
  • November 2018 (570)
  • October 2018 (611)
  • September 2018 (692)
  • August 2018 (666)
  • July 2018 (468)
  • June 2018 (440)
  • May 2018 (616)
  • April 2018 (772)
  • March 2018 (338)
  • February 2018 (157)
  • January 2018 (188)
  • December 2017 (142)
  • November 2017 (122)
  • October 2017 (146)
  • September 2017 (176)
  • August 2017 (201)
  • July 2017 (222)
  • June 2017 (155)
  • May 2017 (205)
  • April 2017 (156)
  • March 2017 (178)
  • February 2017 (195)
  • January 2017 (149)
  • December 2016 (143)
  • November 2016 (169)
  • October 2016 (165)
  • September 2016 (137)
  • August 2016 (115)
  • July 2016 (116)
  • June 2016 (124)
  • May 2016 (170)
  • April 2016 (150)
  • March 2016 (199)
  • February 2016 (201)
  • January 2016 (216)
  • December 2015 (210)
  • November 2015 (174)
  • October 2015 (281)
  • September 2015 (241)
  • August 2015 (250)
  • July 2015 (188)
  • June 2015 (216)
  • May 2015 (281)
  • April 2015 (306)
  • March 2015 (296)
  • February 2015 (280)
  • January 2015 (245)
  • December 2014 (286)
  • November 2014 (254)
  • October 2014 (185)
  • September 2014 (98)
  • August 2014 (7)

Copyright © 2026 · News Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in