• Home
  • About Us
  • Events
  • Submissions
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Nasheman Urdu ePaper

Nasheman

India's largest selling Urdu weekly, now also in English

  • News & Politics
    • India
    • Indian Muslims
    • Muslim World
  • Culture & Society
  • Opinion
  • In Focus
  • Human Rights
  • Photo Essays
  • Multimedia
    • Infographics
    • Podcasts
You are here: Home / Archives for News & Politics

Israel admits striking Syrian ‘nuclear facility’ in 2007

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

Jerusalem, March 21 (IANS) The Israeli military on Wednesday acknowledged its involvement in airstrikes that demolished a suspected nuclear facility in Syria 11 years ago.

Israel said the air raid in the eastern Deir-al-Zour region in 2007 had removed “an emerging existential threat to Israel and the entire region”. It said the reactor was close to being completed.

Previously, Israel never admitted it was involved in the strikes. On Wednesday, the Israeli censor’s office lifted a long-held prohibition on publishing information on the attack, the BBC reported.

In a statement, the Israeli military said that in the assault, dubbed “Operation Out of the Box”, Israeli fighter jets attacked and destroyed an undeclared nuclear facility in Deir-al-Zour on September 6, 2007.

Several months after the strike, the US announced that intelligence indicated the site was a nuclear reactor with military purpose.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said in the past that the site was “very likely” to have been a nuclear reactor. It also suggested that it was being built with the help of North Korea.

Syria, which has joined the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, has denied this.

The attack was a result of an extensive intelligence effort. The collection of information began in 2004 and included cooperation with “parallel security forces”, the Israeli military statement said, hinting at top-level coordination between the Israeli government led by former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and the George W. Bush administration ahead of the strike.

Commenting on the operation, Israel’s then Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi said the Army feared the strike would spark a war in the region and took steps to prevent an escalation as part of the preparations for the operation.

Israel’s Chief of Staff Gadi Eizenkot, who served as commander of the Northern Command during the operation, said: “The lesson from the 2007 attack on the reactor is that Israel will not accept the establishment of a capability that constitutes an existential threat to Israel. This is the message to our enemies in the near and far future.”

The issue recently resurfaced after Olmert compiled a memoir during his time in prison, where he served a 16-month corruption sentence.

The manuscript, which included a chapter about the attack and Olmert’s part in leading to the decision to execute it, was sent for review to the censor’s office.

(IANS)

Filed Under: World

Government to reach out to opposition to bring peace to Parliament

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

As Parliament remained paralyzed for the 14th consecutive day, the government on Thursday decided to reach out to the opposition parties to ensure smooth functioning so that the pending bills get passed in both the Houses.

New Delhi: A View of Parliament house during the ongoing Winter Session in New Delhi on Wednesday. PTI Photo by Kamal Kishore (PTI12_9_2015_000201B)

Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Vijay Goel, who has been assigned the task to talking to opposition leaders, met Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad for a brief discussion. He will again meet him to discuss the issues in detail.

The Minister said he would also meet leaders of the TDP, AIADMK, TRS and other parties.

Ever since the second phase of Parliament’s Budget session began on March 5, disruptions have crippled both the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha on a number of issues including demand for special status to Andhra Pradesh, Punjab National Bank fraud case and setting up of Cauvery Management Board.

The Congress, the Trinamool and some other opposition parties have been protesting against the banking fraud blamed on absconding jeweller Nirav Modi and his associates, while the TDP and the YSR Congress have been demonstrating for special status to Andhra Pradesh.

The AIADMK wants a board for the management of the disputed Cauvery river water. The TRS is demanding an increase in the reservation quota for jobs in Telangana.

“Only nine working days are left now after 14 wasted days. I request the opposition parties to ensure passage of important bills in both Houses. I am hopeful the opposition will cooperate,” Goel said.

“The government is in regular touch with the opposition leaders and I will meet them personally to ensure the smooth functioning of the Parliament,” he told reporters.

The Minister said the government was ready to discuss each and every issue concerning the political parties including no-confidence motion against the government.

“In fact the opposition is running away from discussion. We are ready to discuss even the no-confidence motion. We have adequate numbers in the House.”

Earlier, Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu met the leaders of different parties in his chamber and sought their support to get The Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill passed.

The Bill was passed by the Upper House before being adjourned for the day, however, without discussion and despite order in the House.

The Lok Sabha was also adjourned for the day, amid protests as opposition members trooped near the Speaker’s podium, raising slogans and displaying placards.

(IANS)

Filed Under: India

Anxiety, depression can trigger smartphone addiction

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

People who are less emotionally stable and suffer from anxiety and depression are more likely to be addicted to their smartphones, according to a research.

Emotional stability is characterised by being emotionally resilient. The study found that being less emotionally stable was associated with problematic smartphone behaviour.

People who struggle with their mental health are more likely to intensively use their smartphone as a form of therapy and that the less conscientious individuals are, the more likely they are to be addicted to their phones.

As levels of anxiety increase, problematic smartphone use also increases, the findings showed.

“Problematic smartphone use is more complex than previously thought and our research has highlighted the interplay of various psychological factors in the study of smartphone use,” Zaheer Hussain, Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Derby in Britain, said in a statement.

“This is because people may be experiencing problems in their lives such as stress, anxiety, depression, family problems, so in that state they are emotionally unstable, meaning they may seek respite in very excessive smartphone use. This is worrying,” Hussain said.

For the study, a team of psychologists conducted an online study with 640 smartphone users, aged between 13-69 years, to find out the association between smartphone use and personality traits.

The results showed that people who are “closed off” or less open with their emotions are more likely to have problems with smartphone use.

“They may be engaging in passive social network use, where you spend a lot of time on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, browsing other peoples’ comments, pictures, and posts, and not posting anything of your own and not engaging in discussion with others, so there is no real positive social interaction while social networking,” Hussain noted.

(IANS)

Filed Under: World

Maldivian President ends Emergency

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen on Thursday lifted a widely denounced state of Emergency after a period of 45 days, stating that the situation in the atoll nation had returned to normal.

“Upon the advice of the security services and in an effort to promote normalcy, the President has decided to lift the state of Emergency,” President Yameen’s office said in a statement.

The President’s international spokesperson Ibrahim Shihab said all departments had been notified.

The state of Emergency was declared by Yameen on February 5 for a period of 15 days due to a “threat to the national security” following a Supreme Court ruling ordering the release of detained opposition leaders including self-exiled former President Mohamed Nasheed.

It was extended via a resolution of Parliament on February 20 for 30 days following a request by the President.

During the 45-day state of Emergency, the government said day-to-day activities of the citizens had not been affected and tourists could continue to visit the island nation.

Meanwhile, several members of Nasheed’s Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) detained under Emergency powers were released without charge, the Maldives Independent reported.

MDP Vice President Mohamed Shifaz, former MP Ilyas Labeeb and several council members were arrested in the build-up to the March 16 mass protest after police alleged there were plans to overthrow the government by inciting unrest and violence in the capital.

With constitutional due process rights suspended, the detainees were not informed of charges or taken against them. Their release came ahead of the expiry of the 45-day state of Emergency on Thursday night.

According to the opposition, around 60 people were arrested since the declaration of Emergency on February 5. The Emergency was widely condemned internationally including by the US and India.

(IANS)

Filed Under: World

Anna Hazare Gets Permission For Protests

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

Delhi Police on Thursday gave permission to social activist Anna Hazare to start a protest campaign at Ramlila Maidan here from Friday, police said.

“We have granted permission after checking all security aspects and making adequate arrangements,” said a police officer.

Hazare and his supporters will first visit Rajghat from Maharastra Sadan to pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi.

He will also visit Shahidi Park to pay tribute to martyrs and then proceed to Ramlila Maidan where he held a massive protest and hunger strike against corruption in 2011.

Hazare has said that farm issues would be among those taken up during the current agitation.

Filed Under: India

Linking Congress To Data Scam Diversionary Tactics: Rahul

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said the Modi government had for years lied about the fate of 39 Indians killed in Iraq and was now diverting public attention from it by alleging that his party had links with a firm accused of misusing personal data of Facebook users.

“Problem: 39 Indians dead; Government on the mat, caught lying. Solution: Invent story on Congress and data theft. Result: Media networks bite bait; 39 Indians vanish from radar. Problem solved,” Gandhi said in a tweet.

Gandhi’s remarks came a day after Information and Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad accused the Congress of compromising national security by roping in political data analytics firm Cambridge Analytica to run its 2019 election campaign.

The Minister alleged that the firm had been found involved in data manipulation and warned that any attempt to misuse social media to influence India’s electoral process would not be tolerated.

PTI

Filed Under: India

PMLA case: Ex-HP CM Virbhadra Singh, Wife Get Bail

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

A special court today granted bail to former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh, his wife and three others in a Rs seven crore money laundering case.

Special Judge Arvind Kumar granted the relief to Singh and his wife Pratibha Singh, who were present in the court in response to the summons issued against them on the last date of hearing. The court also granted bail to Universal Apple Associate owner Chunni Lal Chauhan, besides other accused Prem Raj and Lawan Kumar Roach.

All the accused got the relief on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 50,000 and one surety of the same amount each. During the proceedings, ED counsel Nitesh Rana opposed their bail plea, seeking judicial custody for them.

The court, however, granted them bail considering they were not arrested by the ED during the investigation. The court had on February 12 issued summons against the accused saying there was “prima facie” enough evidence against them.

The Enforcement Directorate had charge-sheeted 83-year-old Singh, accusing him of projecting around Rs seven crore “proceeds of crime” as agricultural income in connivance with his wife and others and had invested the sum in LIC policies.

PTI

Filed Under: India, News & Politics

Yeddyurappa Promises To Increase Wages Of Pourakarmikas

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

State BJP President B S Yeddyurappa on Wednesday promised pourakarmikas that if he is voted to power he will increase their wages from the present Rs 17,000 to Rs 30,000.

Addressing the gathering at a convention which was organised by Pourakarmikara Samudaaya Vedike Yedyurappa said that he has received a list of demands from the Pourakarmika forum and all those demands will be fulfilled as soon as BJP takes charge of the state government.

He also mentioned few of the demands by the forum which includes: equal pay for everybody, regularise all 20,000 workers and not just 4,000 of them, permanent houses, permitting pourakarmika to contest in elections, free medical check-ups, improved health care and bonus of Rs 25,000 for all workers on Ambedkar Jayanti every year.

PTI

Filed Under: India, News & Politics

Journalist murder: Supreme Court Closes Proceedings Against Tej Pratap In Murder Case

March 22, 2018 by Nasheman

The Supreme Court today closed proceedings against former Bihar minister Tej Pratap, son of jailed RJD supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav, in the murder case of a Siwan-based journalist.

The apex court had asked the CBI to investigate allegations relating to media reports featuring photographs and videos that showed Pratap, former Bihar health minister, along with two absconding accused, Mohd Kaif and Javed, who are presently in judicial custody in the Rajdeo Ranjan murder case.

A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud considered the submission of Additional Solicitor General Aman Lekhi that CBI has not found any incriminating material against the RJD leader.

The bench ordered the closure of proceedings against Tej Pratap and gave the slain journalist’s widow the liberty to get her plea revised if some incriminating material surfaces in the future.

PTI

Filed Under: India, News & Politics

Karnataka High Court orders State Govt to resolve ‘Bisi oota’ workers’ demands, after MEP files writ petition

March 21, 2018 by Nasheman

Taking cognizance of the writ petition filed by MEP’s Dr. Nowhera Shaik, the Karnataka High Court on Wednesday, ordered the State Govt to resolve the grievances of ‘Bisi Oota’ workers and take corrective measures.

Dr. Shaik said that the High Court has admitted her petition and issued a notice to the state government and also directed the state government to resolve the grievances of Bisi Oota workers and take corrective measures before next date which 4th April 2018.

All India Mahila Empowerment Party, which is supporting the protesting workers of the Bisi Oota Scheme had filed a writ petition against the govt of Karnataka, regarding the plight of the workers. The petition number is: 6926/2018 and is titled Nowhera Shaik vs State of Karnataka.

MEP says that the workers associated with the scheme are only paid Rs. 1000. The party had filed a PIL asking for a minimum wage of Rs. 15,000 per month and has also demanded that the workers get a permanent job, among other benefits.

Last month MEP’s President Dr. Nowhera Shaik had met the protesting Mid-Day Meal Scheme Workers and assured them of all the help.

Dr. Nowhera Shaik thanked Chief Justice Dinesh Maheshwari and Justice BM Shyamprasad. She also thanked Bisi oota’ workers for their fight.

Filed Under: India

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 1423
  • 1424
  • 1425
  • 1426
  • 1427
  • …
  • 1904
  • Next Page »

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

KNOW US

  • About Us
  • Corporate News
  • FAQs
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

GET INVOLVED

  • Corporate News
  • Letters to Editor
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh
  • Submissions

PROMOTE

  • Advertise
  • Corporate News
  • Events
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

Archives

  • July 2026 (2)
  • February 2026 (6)
  • January 2026 (12)
  • December 2025 (6)
  • November 2025 (8)
  • October 2025 (12)
  • September 2025 (25)
  • August 2025 (46)
  • July 2025 (110)
  • June 2025 (28)
  • May 2025 (14)
  • April 2025 (50)
  • March 2025 (35)
  • February 2025 (34)
  • January 2025 (43)
  • December 2024 (83)
  • November 2024 (82)
  • October 2024 (156)
  • September 2024 (202)
  • August 2024 (165)
  • July 2024 (169)
  • June 2024 (161)
  • May 2024 (107)
  • April 2024 (104)
  • March 2024 (222)
  • February 2024 (229)
  • January 2024 (102)
  • December 2023 (142)
  • November 2023 (69)
  • October 2023 (74)
  • September 2023 (93)
  • August 2023 (118)
  • July 2023 (139)
  • June 2023 (52)
  • May 2023 (38)
  • April 2023 (48)
  • March 2023 (166)
  • February 2023 (207)
  • January 2023 (183)
  • December 2022 (165)
  • November 2022 (229)
  • October 2022 (224)
  • September 2022 (177)
  • August 2022 (155)
  • July 2022 (123)
  • June 2022 (190)
  • May 2022 (204)
  • April 2022 (310)
  • March 2022 (273)
  • February 2022 (311)
  • January 2022 (329)
  • December 2021 (296)
  • November 2021 (277)
  • October 2021 (237)
  • September 2021 (234)
  • August 2021 (221)
  • July 2021 (237)
  • June 2021 (364)
  • May 2021 (282)
  • April 2021 (278)
  • March 2021 (293)
  • February 2021 (192)
  • January 2021 (222)
  • December 2020 (170)
  • November 2020 (172)
  • October 2020 (187)
  • September 2020 (194)
  • August 2020 (61)
  • July 2020 (58)
  • June 2020 (56)
  • May 2020 (36)
  • March 2020 (48)
  • February 2020 (109)
  • January 2020 (162)
  • December 2019 (174)
  • November 2019 (120)
  • October 2019 (104)
  • September 2019 (88)
  • August 2019 (159)
  • July 2019 (122)
  • June 2019 (66)
  • May 2019 (276)
  • April 2019 (393)
  • March 2019 (477)
  • February 2019 (448)
  • January 2019 (693)
  • December 2018 (736)
  • November 2018 (570)
  • October 2018 (611)
  • September 2018 (692)
  • August 2018 (666)
  • July 2018 (468)
  • June 2018 (440)
  • May 2018 (616)
  • April 2018 (772)
  • March 2018 (338)
  • February 2018 (157)
  • January 2018 (188)
  • December 2017 (142)
  • November 2017 (122)
  • October 2017 (146)
  • September 2017 (176)
  • August 2017 (201)
  • July 2017 (222)
  • June 2017 (155)
  • May 2017 (205)
  • April 2017 (156)
  • March 2017 (178)
  • February 2017 (195)
  • January 2017 (149)
  • December 2016 (143)
  • November 2016 (169)
  • October 2016 (165)
  • September 2016 (137)
  • August 2016 (115)
  • July 2016 (116)
  • June 2016 (124)
  • May 2016 (170)
  • April 2016 (150)
  • March 2016 (199)
  • February 2016 (201)
  • January 2016 (216)
  • December 2015 (210)
  • November 2015 (174)
  • October 2015 (281)
  • September 2015 (241)
  • August 2015 (250)
  • July 2015 (188)
  • June 2015 (216)
  • May 2015 (281)
  • April 2015 (306)
  • March 2015 (296)
  • February 2015 (280)
  • January 2015 (245)
  • December 2014 (286)
  • November 2014 (254)
  • October 2014 (185)
  • September 2014 (98)
  • August 2014 (7)

Copyright © 2026 · News Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in