• Home
  • About Us
  • Events
  • Submissions
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Nasheman Urdu ePaper

Nasheman

India's largest selling Urdu weekly, now also in English

  • News & Politics
    • India
    • Indian Muslims
    • Muslim World
  • Culture & Society
  • Opinion
  • In Focus
  • Human Rights
  • Photo Essays
  • Multimedia
    • Infographics
    • Podcasts
You are here: Home / Archives for Nasheman

58 Congress activists taken into custody : Bharat Bandh

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


Altogether 58 Congress activists were Monday taken into police custody in Jharkhand for forcibly trying to enforce the ‘Bharat Bandh’ called by the party, a police officer said.

The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha, the Rashtriya Janata Dal and the Left parties in Jharkhand are supporting the Congress-sponsored ‘Bharat bandh called against fuel price hike.

Fifty eight Congress activists including Palamau district Congress president Jaias Ranjan Pathak were taken into custody for forcibly trying to enforce the bandh, Superintendent of Police Inderjeet Mahata said.

Barring Garhwa district, normal life is not affected in Pakur, Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Hazaribagh, Lohardaga, Gumla, Ramgarh, Giridih, Latehar, Palamau, Dhanbad and other districts, according to reports.

Goods trains and passengers trainings were being escorted by the police, a police officer said.

Vehicular traffic is normal in most parts of the state, including Ranchi, the reports said.

Filed Under: Campaign

JD(S) will support Bharat Bandh.

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


HD Deve Gowda said that JD(S) will be supporting the Bharat Bandh called by the Congress party on Monday.

He said that, he will support the bandh but will not be participating in any event as he will be meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi, he said.

Gowda said, he and Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy, accompanied by some MPs of the BJP and Congress, will be meeting Mr Modi to impress upon him the need to allot more funds for rehabilitation work in flood-affected areas particularly Kodagu district. “Those who are not part of the delegation to New Delhi, will be taking part in the bandh,” he stated.

Regarding the bandh, he said that constant hikes in fuel prices have burdened the common man and have adversely affected trade and commerce in the country. “The hikes are too much for the common man to bear,” he added.

(PTI)

Filed Under: Campaign

Over 200 persons take ill after consuming temple prasadam

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


Nearly 200 persons, including students, took ill after consuming temple prasadam at Bilichodi in Jagaluru taluk in the district on Saturday.

Within two hours of consuming the food, served during the Anjaneya Swami temple fair, several of the devotees started complaining of vomiting and loose motions.

The victims were immediately rushed to the Davangere district hospital while few were given preliminary treatment at the Bilichodi PHC.

The DHO Tripulambha visited the spot. Confirmed that this was a case of food poisoning he informed that arrangements had been made to treat the victims

Filed Under: HEALTH

Opposition blocks railway in Mumbai

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


As petrol prices on Monday shot up to Rs 89.97 in Maharashtra’s Parbhani – the highest in India – the Opposition Congress staged a ‘rail-roko’ agitation here as part of the party-sponsored nationwide shutdown to protest rising fuel prices.

Parbhani District Petrol Dealers Association (PDPDA) President Sanjay Deshmukh said that while petrol was nearly touching the psychological barrier of Rs 90 per litre, (Rs 89.97), diesel prices stood at Rs 77.92 on Monday.

Elsewhere in Maharashtra, petrol was Rs 88 and diesel at Rs 76, said All India Petrol Dealers Association (AIPDA) spokesperson Ali Daruwala, besides various local tax additions.

The all-India anti-fuel price hike shutdown got underway in different parts of Maharashtra with all parties, barring the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party and Shiv Sena, joining in wholeheartedly.

Maharashtra Congress President Ashok Chavan and Mumbai Congress President Sanjay Nirupam led thousands of activists to stage a noisy protest outside the Andheri station bus depot, and later they got down on the railway tracks, shouting anti-government slogans.

Several leaders including former ministers Naseem Khan, Manikrao Thakre, Suresh Shetty, joined the agitation as police maintained strict security at Andheri.

However, suburban trains, BEST buses, schools and colleges functioned normally, though shops and commercial establishments downed shutters in many localities, including pockets where the opposition is influential.

Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) activists also led aggressive protests in Mumbai, Thane, Palghar, Pune, Nashik and others areas of the state.

As per preliminary reports, the shutdown has elicited mixed response in urban centres, but widespread support in the semi-urban and rural hinterland which have been badly hit by the spiraling fuel prices.

The shutdown has been supported by Nationalist Congress Party, Samajwadi Party, Janata Dal (S), RPI (G), Peasant and Workers Party, Left Parties, Swabhimani Shetkari Party, Peoples Republican Party.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Campaign

Shutdown in Kerala to protest fuel price hike

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


A state-wide shutdown called by Kerala’s ruling Left and the Congress-led opposition to protest rising fuel prices, was observed on Monday.

While public vehicles remained off the roads in the state, private vehicles were seen plying in many places, while shops, markets and establishments remained shut.

“This is a protest against the wrong policies of Prime Minister Narendra Modi which has also led to the rupee reaching record lows. Under Modi, the country has reached a low,” Leader of Opposition Ramesh Chennithala said while inaugurating his party’s protest in Kochi.

In Kollam, agitated Congress workers protested outside the Head Post office, demanding that it should be closed.

In the state capital, the IT campus at Technopark is functioning and the ISRO units are also working as normal.

There was a complete shutdown in Kasargode, the town that shares a border with Karnataka, as interstate buses kept off the roads.

While the Congress workers are out on the streets, the ruling Left supporters appear to maintain a low profile and have stressed that relief operations in flood-affected areas will go on unaffected.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Campaign

Another accused convicted in Hyderabad twin blast case

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


A court here on Monday convicted a third accused in the 2007 Hyderabad twin bomb blasts which had claimed 42 lives while the other two convicts are likely to be sentenced later in the day.

The Second Metropolitan Sessions Court held Tariq Anjum, an alleged operative of the Indian Mujahideen (IM), guilty for providing shelter to the other accused. The quantum of punishment will be pronounced later.

Two other accused, Farooq Sharfuddin and Sadiq Ahmed Sheikh, were acquitted for lack of evidence while the fate of a fifth accused will be decided next week.

The court is likely to pronounce the quantum of punishment for Anique Shafiq Syed and Akbar Ismail Choudhary, who were convicted last week.

Anique allegedly planted the bomb at Lumbini Park which claimed 10 lives while Akbar kept the bomb at Diluskhnagar but it failed to explode.

The court convicted them on September 4.

While 32 people were killed at Gokul Chat, a popular eatery, 10 others lost their lives at Lumbini Park, near State Secretariat, in near simultaneous blasts around 7.45 p.m. on August 25, 2007.

More than 50 were injured in the blasts.

The accused were arrested by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad in October 2008. Three other accused including IM chief Riyaz Bhatkal and his brother Iqbal Bhatkal still remain at large.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Crime

TN cabinet decides to release all Rajiv case convicts

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


The AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu Sunday decided to recommend to the state Governor Banwarilal Purohit, the release of all seven life convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.

A resolution to this effect was adopted at the state cabinet which met here under Chief Minister K Palaniswami’s leadership, Fisheries Minister D Jayakumar told reporters.

It decided to recommend to Governor Purohit, the release of Murugan, Santhan, Perarivalan, Jayakumar, Ravichandran, Robert Payas and Nalini, serving life imprisonment.

The moves comes days after the Supreme Court asked the Tamil Nadu Governor to consider the mercy petition of Perarivalan seeking remission or pardon under Article 161 of the Constitution and disposed of the Centre’s petition opposing Tamil Nadu government’s earlier proposal for the release of the convicts.

Though the apex court had asked the Governor to consider the plea of Perarivalan, the government decided to recommend setting free all others also as they had also petitioned seeking premature release, he said. The cabinet resolution will be sent to the Governor “immediately,” he said.

Former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur near here by an LTTE woman suicide bomber, Dhanu, at an election rally. Fourteen others, including Dhanu herself, were also killed.
(PTI)

Filed Under: Crime

Equity indices open in red on global cues, weak rupee

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman

The key Indian equity indices opened in the negative territory on Monday, tracking broadly negative cues in the global markets and also due to a weakening rupee.

The rupee opened at a fresh low of 72.18 against the US dollar on Monday, which dampened the domestic investor sentiment.

At 9.35 a.m., the wider Nifty50 on the National Stock Exchange, traded at 11,546.65 points, lower by 42.45 points or 0.37 per cent from its previous close.

The S&P BSE Sensex, which had opened at 38,348.39 points, traded at 38,213.84 points, lower by 175.98 points or 0.46 per cent than the previous close of 38,389.82 points.

So far, it has touched an intra-day high of 38,354.52 points and a low of 38,242.37 points.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Business & Technology

Bharat Bandh evokes partial response in Telangana, Andhra

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


A day-long Bharat Bandh or nationwide shutdown called by the Congress and Left parties to protest rising fuel prices evoked partial response in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh on Monday.

Bus services were affected since early morning in both the Telugu states. Many private educational institutions also remained closed.

Activists of the Congress and the Left parties launched a sit-in at the depots of state road transport corporations to prevent buses from plying on the roads.

Leaders of Congress, Left parties, Jana Sena and trade unions affiliated to them were arrested in Hyderabad and other towns in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.

All India Congress Committee (AICC) secretaries Saleem Ahmed and Srinivasan Krishnan led the protests in Mahabubnagar and Karimnagar.

Ruling Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) in Telangana is not supporting the shutdown call.

Though Andhra Pradesh’s ruling Telugu Desam Party (TDP) is also not officially supporting the shutdown, its activists in both the states joined the protests against rise in prices of petrol and diesel.

Raising slogans against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Bharatiya Janata Party, the protestors took to streets, staging road blockades and organising rallies.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Campaign

Normal life unaffected due to strike in TN

September 10, 2018 by Nasheman


Normal life was unaffected in Tamil Nadu on Monday due to a nationwide strike called by the Congress and supported by other opposition parties to protest against the rise in oil prices.

Schools, colleges, offices — private, public and government — functioned as usual and public transport plied on the roads but in lesser numbers.

Suburban trains also operated as usual.

Shops remained closed in few places in the state including Nagercoil, Mannargudi, Tiruvarur, as per reports reaching here.

However, bus services to neighbouring Karnataka and Kerala states were affected. The buses operated only upto the Tamil Nadu border as the strike got good response in those two states.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Campaign

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 1594
  • 1595
  • 1596
  • 1597
  • 1598
  • …
  • 2641
  • Next Page »

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

KNOW US

  • About Us
  • Corporate News
  • FAQs
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

GET INVOLVED

  • Corporate News
  • Letters to Editor
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh
  • Submissions

PROMOTE

  • Advertise
  • Corporate News
  • Events
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

Archives

  • February 2026 (6)
  • January 2026 (12)
  • December 2025 (6)
  • November 2025 (8)
  • October 2025 (12)
  • September 2025 (25)
  • August 2025 (46)
  • July 2025 (110)
  • June 2025 (28)
  • May 2025 (14)
  • April 2025 (50)
  • March 2025 (35)
  • February 2025 (34)
  • January 2025 (43)
  • December 2024 (83)
  • November 2024 (82)
  • October 2024 (156)
  • September 2024 (202)
  • August 2024 (165)
  • July 2024 (169)
  • June 2024 (161)
  • May 2024 (107)
  • April 2024 (104)
  • March 2024 (222)
  • February 2024 (229)
  • January 2024 (102)
  • December 2023 (142)
  • November 2023 (69)
  • October 2023 (74)
  • September 2023 (93)
  • August 2023 (118)
  • July 2023 (139)
  • June 2023 (52)
  • May 2023 (38)
  • April 2023 (48)
  • March 2023 (166)
  • February 2023 (207)
  • January 2023 (183)
  • December 2022 (165)
  • November 2022 (229)
  • October 2022 (224)
  • September 2022 (177)
  • August 2022 (155)
  • July 2022 (123)
  • June 2022 (190)
  • May 2022 (204)
  • April 2022 (310)
  • March 2022 (273)
  • February 2022 (311)
  • January 2022 (329)
  • December 2021 (296)
  • November 2021 (277)
  • October 2021 (237)
  • September 2021 (234)
  • August 2021 (221)
  • July 2021 (237)
  • June 2021 (364)
  • May 2021 (282)
  • April 2021 (278)
  • March 2021 (293)
  • February 2021 (192)
  • January 2021 (222)
  • December 2020 (170)
  • November 2020 (172)
  • October 2020 (187)
  • September 2020 (194)
  • August 2020 (61)
  • July 2020 (58)
  • June 2020 (56)
  • May 2020 (36)
  • March 2020 (48)
  • February 2020 (109)
  • January 2020 (162)
  • December 2019 (174)
  • November 2019 (120)
  • October 2019 (104)
  • September 2019 (88)
  • August 2019 (159)
  • July 2019 (122)
  • June 2019 (66)
  • May 2019 (276)
  • April 2019 (393)
  • March 2019 (477)
  • February 2019 (448)
  • January 2019 (693)
  • December 2018 (736)
  • November 2018 (570)
  • October 2018 (611)
  • September 2018 (692)
  • August 2018 (666)
  • July 2018 (468)
  • June 2018 (440)
  • May 2018 (616)
  • April 2018 (772)
  • March 2018 (338)
  • February 2018 (157)
  • January 2018 (188)
  • December 2017 (142)
  • November 2017 (122)
  • October 2017 (146)
  • September 2017 (176)
  • August 2017 (201)
  • July 2017 (222)
  • June 2017 (155)
  • May 2017 (205)
  • April 2017 (156)
  • March 2017 (178)
  • February 2017 (195)
  • January 2017 (149)
  • December 2016 (143)
  • November 2016 (169)
  • October 2016 (165)
  • September 2016 (137)
  • August 2016 (115)
  • July 2016 (116)
  • June 2016 (124)
  • May 2016 (170)
  • April 2016 (150)
  • March 2016 (199)
  • February 2016 (201)
  • January 2016 (216)
  • December 2015 (210)
  • November 2015 (174)
  • October 2015 (281)
  • September 2015 (241)
  • August 2015 (250)
  • July 2015 (188)
  • June 2015 (216)
  • May 2015 (281)
  • April 2015 (306)
  • March 2015 (296)
  • February 2015 (280)
  • January 2015 (245)
  • December 2014 (286)
  • November 2014 (254)
  • October 2014 (185)
  • September 2014 (98)
  • August 2014 (7)

Copyright © 2026 · News Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in