• Home
  • About Us
  • Events
  • Submissions
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Nasheman Urdu ePaper

Nasheman

India's largest selling Urdu weekly, now also in English

  • News & Politics
    • India
    • Indian Muslims
    • Muslim World
  • Culture & Society
  • Opinion
  • In Focus
  • Human Rights
  • Photo Essays
  • Multimedia
    • Infographics
    • Podcasts
You are here: Home / Archives for Nasheman

India eves thrash Nepal in U-15 SAFF football meet

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

India Under-15 womens team scored five goals in each half to thrash Nepal 10-0 in a one-sided group encounter of the SAFF Womens Championship at Dhaka on Tuesday.

Hat-tricks by Priyanka Devi and Sunita Munda was complimented by a brace from Lynda Kom, with goals from Santhiya and Anay Bayi completing the rout.

Lynda Kom had opened the scoring in the fourth minute as India went on to pile the pressure on their northern neighbours.

But the scoreline didn’t reflect the dominance until Lynda opened the floodgate with her second strike in the 32nd minute.

The later stage of the first half saw three more goals being pumped into the Nepal net as Sunita Munda, Santhiya and Priyanka Devi etched their names on the scoresheet with goals in the 33rd, 40th and 43rd minute respectively.

Nepal had a chance of their own but they missed their penalty opportunity as the teams went 5-0 into half time.

Contrary to expectations India didn’t let the foot off the pedal in the second half as Priyanka got her second of the day in 53rd minute before Sunita too did same in the 62nd minute.

Anay Bayi became the fifth Indian on the scoresheet with her strike in 69th minute as the Nepali shoulders dropped and India strolled around with the ball.

After few attempts, Priyanka finally scored again in the 76th minute to complete her hattrick before Sunita rounded off the scoreline with her own three-peat in the 86th minute.

India will now face Bangladesh on December 21 in their final group encounter.

(IANS)

Filed Under: Sports

Chandy gets interim relief in solar scam case

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 19 – Former Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Tuesday got interim relief from the Kerala High Court in the solar scam case as the court said the ‘sleaze’ letter should not be discussed for two months.

Chandy on Monday approached the Kerala High Court with a plea to quash the Justice G Sivarajan (retired) judicial probe report on the solar scam, submitted to Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan earlier this year.

The high court also slammed Vijayan for speaking about the ‘sleaze’ letter written by Saritha Nair, the prime accused in the multi-crore solar scam case.

The court came down heavily on Vijayan for his press conference wherein he spoke in detail based on the letter, which the court felt amounted to character assassination and could have been avoided.

The letter written by Saritha Nair, when she was in jail, names Chandy and numerous other top Congress leaders for sexually exploiting her.

The multi-crore solar energy investment fraud that rocked the then Chandy government in 2013 was led by Nair and her live-in partner Biju Radhakrishnan, as it came to light that a section of the Chief Minister’s Office had links with the couple.

The court also said the authorities looking into the case can, however, go forward with their work.

Senior Congress leader Kapil Sibal appeared for Chandy, and the plea for the manner in which Vijayan handled the judicial probe report of Justice G. Sivarajan (retd) into the solar scam was pointed out.

When the counsel for the Kerala government asked for a day’s time for the petition to be heard, the court refused and said it would be posted in the afternoon.

In the afternoon, the court directed that the ‘sleaze letter’ should not be discussed either by the media or in any form for two months and posted the case, wherein Chandy has sought quashing of the report, for January 15.

Reacting to the court’s observation, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) central committee member A. Ananthan said he is surprised over the way the court has come out with the directions, that a letter which has already become a public document should not be discussed.

Honestly fail to understand this, because this is part of a judicial commission probe report and it has been accepted by the government and it has become a public document, said Ananthan.

Senior Congress legislator K.C. Joseph welcomed the court’s decision and said all of them are of the firm opinion that the report is being used politically.

Kerala Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader M.T. Ramesh said such letters should never become a public document as there is every chance of it being used for blackmailing.

Sivarajan submitted his report to Vijayan earlier this year.

On October 11, Vijayan told the media that the judicial report has been accepted and cases would be registered against Chandy and all others based on Saritha Nair’s letter.

Following this, on November 9, Vijayan called a special one-day session of the Kerala Assembly to place the report in the house.

(IANS)

Filed Under: India

2,965 girls went missing in Maha in 6 months this yearr: Devendra Fadnavis

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

Nagpur: As many as 2,965 girls have gone missing from Maharashtra in the first six months this year, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said today.

The number has gone up from 2,881 girls, who had gone missing between January 1 and June 30 in 2016, he said in a written reply in tabled in the state Legislative Assembly in response to a query by BJP MLA Randheer Savarkar.

The chief minister, who heads the home department, said, “No case was registered against any particular gang in this connection. Some 12 police departments have been instructed to take immediate action against such activities.”

According to Fadnavis, the union government formed www.trackthemissingchild.gov.in for tracking a missing girl child. “The Railways is also updating their portals www.shodh.gov.in for the same purpose. These websites have been helpful in detecting cases,” he said in the reply.

The state government had undertaken four special drives, such as Operation Muskan and Operation Smile, which helped in finding 1,613 girls between January 1 and June 30, 2016. The drive also helped find 645 girls this year, Fadnavis said in the reply.

(Agencies)

Filed Under: India

Congress will again come to power in Karnataka: CM Siddaramiah

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

Bellari: CM Siddaramiah said that the Gujrath elections will not affect Karnataka’s upcoming Assembly elections.

Addressing the media here he said 18 Congress MLAs and opposition leaders like Shankar Singh Vaghela have joined BJP, Congress had suffered a setback in Gujarat polls and that Congress has won more seats when compare to the last elections which is mainly because of AICC president Rahul Gandhi,”

“PM Narendra Modi and BJP National President Amit Shah had visited Gujarat 50 times before the election,”

Kannadigas will vote based on the developmental activities done in the state. This, I have realised after 40 years in politics. The Congress will again come to power in the state,” he said expressing confidence.

(Agencies)

Filed Under: India

LS disrupted over PM’s allegation against Manmohan Singh

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

New Delhi: The Lok Sabha was disrupted again on Tuesday as Congress members sought to raise the allegations levelled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi against his predecessor Manmohan Singh.

Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, unhappy over the uproar, adjourned the House briefly.

As soon as the House met, Congress members again tried to raise the issue, but Mahajan denied them permission and went ahead with the Question Hour.

Congress members, however, trooped near the Speaker’s podium and continued to raise slogans demanding an apology from Modi.

“All elections are over, the things that are said on the roads shall not come to Parliament… I am not allowing you to raise the issue,” Mahajan said.

Even then, the Congress members did not stop and continued to raise slogans.

An angry Speaker then slammed the Congress for disrupting the very Winter Session of Parliament, which they insisted on convening and was unhappy over its delay.

“Again and again I am requesting you, don’t disrupt the Question Hour. As per rules I cannot allow and I will not allow…” she said.

“When the Winter Session had not started, you were asking for it. Now you are disrupting the session… I am sorry, please don’t do that,” she said.

“You don’t want the session to run, give it in written… You talk about calling the winter session… this is not proper at all,” she said.

The Speaker then adjourned the House till 12 noon.

(IANS)

Filed Under: India

Bengaluru: No permission to hold Sunny Leone event – organiser moves HC

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

Bengaluru: The event management company that planned a New Year’s Eve programme featuring actress Sunny Leone in Bengaluru – which was denied permission by the police amid ‘law and order concerns’ – has filed a writ petition in the Karnataka High Court, asking that the programme should be given approvals as they have planned the event for nearly two months now.

In a petition, Bhavya H.S., proprietress of The Time Creations, an event management firm, has said thatthe event is being organised at a cost of over ₹2.5 crore, and application for permission was submitted on December 1 to the jurisdictional officer, who assured permission within four to five days on securing reports from the local police. The entry to the indoor event, in which DJ Progressive Brother, DJ Villas Monnappa and Kannada Rappers All OK too are participating, is restricted to those who purchase tickets, the petitioner said.

Filed Under: India

Don’t celebrate Christmas, Vishwa Hindu Parishad warns schools in Aligarh

December 19, 2017 by Nasheman

Lucknow: A Vishwa Hindu Parishad affiliated activist group on Tuesday warned schools in Aligarh of dire consequences if they celebrated Christmas.

The Hindu Jagran Manch, in a letter to all city schools, has said that if the festival is celebrated by them they would be doing it “at their own risk”.

The warning has sent the jitters down the spines of missionary schools across the city who have been celebrating Christmas, the birthday of Lord Jesus Christ, with gaiety every year.

Soon after the news spread, school managements expressed concern over the warning and called for security.

“We have been celebrating Christmas for so many years and every child takes part in it so happily, how can some fringe elements decide on what is to be done and what not,” said a school principal on the condition of anonymity.

Senior Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandey when contacted told IANS that there was no question of allowing anyone or any group to disrupt any festivities at the city schools. “Anything that is illegal will not be allowed and such designs will be foiled,” he added.

(IANS)

Filed Under: India

Kerala Kings win inaugural T10 League title

December 18, 2017 by Nasheman

Sharjah: Kerala Kings, a team representing the passion and excitement of thousands of Kerala expatriates emerged as the first champions of the unique T10 Cricket League in front of a packed Sharjah Cricket Stadium.

Kerala, captained by England’s captain Eoin Morgan, who played a huge role in the triumph through two match winning half centuries in the semifinal as well as final, waved the trophy to the Kerala fans who danced to the rhythm of their traditional drum beat.

After defeating Punjabi Legends team led by former Pakistan skipper Misbah Ul Haq by eight wickets in the final, Morgan thanked the vociferous Kerala supporters, who had played the drums beautifully to every glorious moment of their journey to victory.

The stars behind Kerala victory was their consistent opener Paul Stirling from Ireland and the aggressive West Indies hard-hitter Kieron Pollard. Interestingly, the bowlers who ensured the team victory were Pakistan pacers Sohail Tanvir and Wahab Riaz.

Former India allrounder Robin Singh as coach and UAE skipper Rohan Mustafa were part of the team.

(Agencies)

Filed Under: Sports

Karnataka State Contractors Association elects new committee

December 18, 2017 by Nasheman

The Karnataka State Contractors Association recently elected a new committee, after the conclusion of the central election.

The following are the new committee members:

President: CL RASHEED
Vice President: Dr. N. A. Abidali
GENARAL SECRETARY: BR METI
TREASURER: RIYAZ RAXIDI
VICE PRESIDENT: ROBIN MATHEWS

Vice President Dr. N. A. Abidali

Filed Under: India

Rohingya villages razed despite refugee deal: HRW

December 18, 2017 by Nasheman

More than 600,000 members of the Rohingya ethnic group have fled to Bangladesh [Wong Maye-E/AP Photo]

by Al Jazeera

Myanmar continued to destroy Rohingya villages just days after signing a refugee resettlement deal, according to a rights group.

Satellite images of Myanmar published by Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Monday revealed destruction in 40 Rohingya villages since October.

“The Burmese army’s destruction of Rohingya villages within days of signing a refugee repatriation agreement with Bangladesh shows that commitments to safe returns were just a public relations stunt,” said HRW Asia director, Brad Adams.

The organisation said the number of completely or partially destroyed Rohingya villages since Myanmar began its campaign targeting the largely Muslim ethnic group now stood at 354.

Citing evidence, HRW said villages may have been targeted as recently as early December, despite a Memorandum of Understanding signed between Myanmar and Bangladesh to allow Rohingya refugees to return home in late November.

Myanmar continued to destroy Rohingya villages just days after signing a refugee resettlement deal, according to a rights group.

Satellite images of Myanmar published by Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Monday revealed destruction in 40 Rohingya villages since October.

“The Burmese army’s destruction of Rohingya villages within days of signing a refugee repatriation agreement with Bangladesh shows that commitments to safe returns were just a public relations stunt,” said HRW Asia director, Brad Adams.

The organisation said the number of completely or partially destroyed Rohingya villages since Myanmar began its campaign targeting the largely Muslim ethnic group now stood at 354.

Citing evidence, HRW said villages may have been targeted as recently as early December, despite a Memorandum of Understanding signed between Myanmar and Bangladesh to allow Rohingya refugees to return home in late November.

In August, the Burmese military launched a military campaign ostensibly targeting Rohingya armed groups, but which the Rohingya people, rights groups, journalists, foreign states, and the UN have said is targeting ordinary civilians.

Rohingya refugees who have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh have shared accounts of destroyed homes, rapes, and mass killing.

Future proceedings
The HRW report comes as the UN Commissioner for Human Rights, Prince Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, reiterated his belief that what was happening to the Rohingya could amount to genocide.

He told the BBC that the perpetrators of abuses against the ethnic group could one day be brought to trial in international courts.

Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi may not be excluded from possible future proceedings, he said.

More than 600,000 members of the Rohingya community have fled to Bangladesh, where they live in enclosed camps.

The group has long been the target of discriminatory practices in Myanmar, including the withdrawal of citizenship rights and lack of access to state services.

Filed Under: Uncategorized

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 1969
  • 1970
  • 1971
  • 1972
  • 1973
  • …
  • 2641
  • Next Page »

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

KNOW US

  • About Us
  • Corporate News
  • FAQs
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

GET INVOLVED

  • Corporate News
  • Letters to Editor
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh
  • Submissions

PROMOTE

  • Advertise
  • Corporate News
  • Events
  • NewsVoir
  • Newswire
  • Realtor arrested for NRI businessman’s murder in Andhra Pradesh

Archives

  • July 2026 (2)
  • February 2026 (6)
  • January 2026 (12)
  • December 2025 (6)
  • November 2025 (8)
  • October 2025 (12)
  • September 2025 (25)
  • August 2025 (46)
  • July 2025 (110)
  • June 2025 (28)
  • May 2025 (14)
  • April 2025 (50)
  • March 2025 (35)
  • February 2025 (34)
  • January 2025 (43)
  • December 2024 (83)
  • November 2024 (82)
  • October 2024 (156)
  • September 2024 (202)
  • August 2024 (165)
  • July 2024 (169)
  • June 2024 (161)
  • May 2024 (107)
  • April 2024 (104)
  • March 2024 (222)
  • February 2024 (229)
  • January 2024 (102)
  • December 2023 (142)
  • November 2023 (69)
  • October 2023 (74)
  • September 2023 (93)
  • August 2023 (118)
  • July 2023 (139)
  • June 2023 (52)
  • May 2023 (38)
  • April 2023 (48)
  • March 2023 (166)
  • February 2023 (207)
  • January 2023 (183)
  • December 2022 (165)
  • November 2022 (229)
  • October 2022 (224)
  • September 2022 (177)
  • August 2022 (155)
  • July 2022 (123)
  • June 2022 (190)
  • May 2022 (204)
  • April 2022 (310)
  • March 2022 (273)
  • February 2022 (311)
  • January 2022 (329)
  • December 2021 (296)
  • November 2021 (277)
  • October 2021 (237)
  • September 2021 (234)
  • August 2021 (221)
  • July 2021 (237)
  • June 2021 (364)
  • May 2021 (282)
  • April 2021 (278)
  • March 2021 (293)
  • February 2021 (192)
  • January 2021 (222)
  • December 2020 (170)
  • November 2020 (172)
  • October 2020 (187)
  • September 2020 (194)
  • August 2020 (61)
  • July 2020 (58)
  • June 2020 (56)
  • May 2020 (36)
  • March 2020 (48)
  • February 2020 (109)
  • January 2020 (162)
  • December 2019 (174)
  • November 2019 (120)
  • October 2019 (104)
  • September 2019 (88)
  • August 2019 (159)
  • July 2019 (122)
  • June 2019 (66)
  • May 2019 (276)
  • April 2019 (393)
  • March 2019 (477)
  • February 2019 (448)
  • January 2019 (693)
  • December 2018 (736)
  • November 2018 (570)
  • October 2018 (611)
  • September 2018 (692)
  • August 2018 (666)
  • July 2018 (468)
  • June 2018 (440)
  • May 2018 (616)
  • April 2018 (772)
  • March 2018 (338)
  • February 2018 (157)
  • January 2018 (188)
  • December 2017 (142)
  • November 2017 (122)
  • October 2017 (146)
  • September 2017 (176)
  • August 2017 (201)
  • July 2017 (222)
  • June 2017 (155)
  • May 2017 (205)
  • April 2017 (156)
  • March 2017 (178)
  • February 2017 (195)
  • January 2017 (149)
  • December 2016 (143)
  • November 2016 (169)
  • October 2016 (165)
  • September 2016 (137)
  • August 2016 (115)
  • July 2016 (116)
  • June 2016 (124)
  • May 2016 (170)
  • April 2016 (150)
  • March 2016 (199)
  • February 2016 (201)
  • January 2016 (216)
  • December 2015 (210)
  • November 2015 (174)
  • October 2015 (281)
  • September 2015 (241)
  • August 2015 (250)
  • July 2015 (188)
  • June 2015 (216)
  • May 2015 (281)
  • April 2015 (306)
  • March 2015 (296)
  • February 2015 (280)
  • January 2015 (245)
  • December 2014 (286)
  • November 2014 (254)
  • October 2014 (185)
  • September 2014 (98)
  • August 2014 (7)

Copyright © 2026 · News Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in