Srinagar: The Indian Army took responsibility and apologised for the recent firing incident in Kashmir’s Budgam district in which two teenagers were killed and two other people were injured. Army men had fired at a Maruti car on Monday.
“Army fully takes responsibility for the civilian killings at Chattergam in Budgam district,” Lieutenant General D S Hooda, Army’s Northern Command chief said at a press conference on Friday.
Army said there will be a transparent probe into the firing incident.
“I assure that there will be a transparent probe in the firing incident,” he said.
Two youth – Faisal Yousuf, Mehraj-ud-din- were killed and two – Zahid Ayoub, Shakir Rehman – critically wounded when army men fired indiscriminately at a car these youth were traveling in. While one youth – Basim Amin- escaped unscathed from the car.
“See mistake has been done. Dos and don’ts of operating procedures are being constantly taught to troops. We will get to know about the incident fully once the probe is over,” Hooda said.
“We sincerely wish the incident should not have happened. Inquiry has been ordered. We have recorded testimony from 15 civilian and service witnesses. The testimonies are being examined. The inquiry will be completed within 10 days,” Hooda said.
He said that the Army shares the sorrow and grief of the families.
Following the outrage over the incident, army replaced 53 RR unit with 35 RR in Chattergam.
Army had earlier claimed that the car refused to stop at two check posts, the claim which was rejected by a government inquiry conducted after the incident.
Clashes and restrictions continue in the native place of these youth from last four days. All the youth are residents of Nowgam locality in Srinagar.