Bengaluru: Dr Vivek Jawali, Chairman – Cardio Vascular Sciences, & Medical Advisory Council Fortis Hospitals, Bangalore has been conferred with Honorary Doctorate from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Karnataka during its 18th Annual Convocation. The Honorable Governor of Karnataka, Sri Vajubhai Vala and Vice chancellor of RGUHS, Dr Ravindranath awarded Dr. Jawali with the honorary doctorate in the presence of students, teachers, members of RGUHS at NIMHANS convention centre, Bengaluru today.
“This is indeed an honor and I take great pride in receiving this award. I would like to extend my gratitude to the Honorable Governor of Karnataka and the Vice Chancellor of the university for conferring me with this prestigious degree. I accept this honour as something for me and my team mates that are associated with me for more than a quarter century. Together we could do some original contributions in heart surgery to navigate it on more patient friendly roads and add our tiniest bit of a shine on our national tricolour”, said Dr. Vivek Jawali, Chairman – Cardio Vascular Sciences & Medical Advisory Council Fortis Hospitals, Bangalore.
Dr Vivek Jawali has been a pioneer in the field of healthcare and has been presented with life time achievement award for medical excellence in India by “HARVARD MEDICAL INTERNATIONAL” in 2008. Some of his significant contributions and achievements include:
- Performed more than 22,000 heart surgeries & presented more than 200 papers.
- Performed the first beating heart bypass surgery of India in 1992 & was responsible for popularizing it in India. Today India does world’s highest number of beating heart bypass surgeries.
- First person to do first minimally invasive bypass surgery in the Australasian continent in 1995 and
- First to perform AWAKE open heart surgery of the world (quadruple bypass with aortic valve replacement) in a 74 yrs old patient without general anesthesia or ventilator in 2002
- The only Indian in the editorial board of ‘Innovations in Cardiac Surgery’ – a journal of the international society of minimally invasive cardiac surgeons, published from USA