The specialised medical facility has highly qualified doctors, who are equipped to address common male sexual health problems
Bangalore: It is estimated that one in every 10 Indian men suffers from impotency and the growing trend in stress and lifestyle-related disorders has also spurred an increase in sexual health related problems in the male population. With an aim to provide better care in the area of man sexual health and address common andrology-related issues through their expertise and state-of-the-facilities, Fortis Hospitals is launching the new MAN Clinic in their hospital premises. The clinics will be started at Bannerghatta Road, Cunningham Road, Rajajinagar and Seshadripuram centres.
Studies have shown that the number of patients diagnosed with conditions such as premature ejaculation (PME) and erectile dysfunction (ED) is steadily increasing and as a consequence almost 20 per cent of marriages in India break because of lack of satisfaction in sexual life. Moreover, many men do not seek medical help owing to myths that abound about sexual health issues. Contrary to what is normally believed, majority of these problems are a result of physiological causes like diabetes and high BP and can be treated effectively through a variety of methods.
The clinic is a one-of-its-kind medical unit that focuses on providing superior quality treatment for sexual health problems such as Erectile Dysfunction, Premature Ejaculation, Peyronie’s Disease and Micro penis.
“Misinformation and lack of awareness among men about their sexual health is the main reasons why they shy away from seeking help at the right time. Impotence is a condition that affects hundreds of men and diabetes and hypertension are the leading causes of ED in almost half of the male population above 40. Since the causes are usually physiological, it can be treated effectively and the success rate is 80 – 100 per cent,” said Dr. Mohan Keshav Murthy Director- Urology, Andrology & Transplantation, Fortis Hospitals, Bengaluru.It has also to be noted that erectile dysfunction workup can unmask latent cardiac disease in one third of the patients helping them to prevent an emergency room visit in the near future.
He added that the aim of setting up this clinic was to provide the highest standards of andrological treatment for patients who have been suffering silently and don’t know whom to approach. Andrology is the branch of medicine that deals exclusively with disorders of the male sexual and reproductive system.
Some of the medical conditions that will be addressed at the clinic are:
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence – It is sexual dysfunction characterized by the inability to develop or maintain an erection of the penis during sexual activity. Treatment includes counselling, injectable drugs, medications such as Viagra, penile implants or surgery.
- Premature ejaculation is uncontrolled ejaculation either before or shortly after sexual penetration, with minimal sexual stimulation and before the person wishes. It may result in an unsatisfactory sexual experience for both partners. It can be treated through relaxation techniques, medication and behaviour therapy.
- Peyronie’s disease – It is a connective tissue disorder involving the growth of fibrous plaques in the soft tissue of the penis. Treatment includes medications, surgery and counselling.
- Micropenis – This is a condition wherein the person has an unusually small penis. It can be effectively treated through hormone therapy and surgery.
- Male factor Infertility such as oligoasthenospermia secondary to varicocele.