The Karnataka High Court on Wednesday rejected the bail petition of ruling Congress MLA N.A. Haris’s son Mohammad Nalapad, who was in judicial custody for allegedly assaulting a youth at a city center cafe on February 17.
“The bail petition has been dismissed,” said Justice S. Harish Kumar in the order.
Nalapad, 24, along with six other accused in the assault case, was sent to the central jail in the city outskirts, after a city court sent them to 14-day judicial custody for investigation.
A sessions court had earlier rejected Nalapad’s bail plea on March 2.
“The judge felt that the attack on the youth was ghastly and hence dismissed the bail petition after going through the evidence,” special public prosecutor M.S. Shyam Sundar told media here.
Meanwhile, Nalapad’s counsel C.V. Nagesh told media that he would appeal against the single order before a division bench of the High Court or the Supreme Court.
Nalapad and the six accused were arrested on February 19 after they surrendered at the Cubbon Park police station in the city center and a kilometer away from Farzi Cafe in the upscale UB City Mall where the youth (Vidvat) was brutally assaulted following an argument.
Haris, a two-time lawmaker from the Shantinagar assembly segment in the city centre, had earlier tendered an apology in the state legislative assembly for the violent conduct of his son.