Bengaluru: Police custody of four suspected operatives of the banned Indian Mujahideen, arrested recently, was extended till February 3 by a court here today.
“Court has extended the Police custody of Dr. Syed Ismail Afaq, Abdus Saboor, Riyaz Syeedi & Saddam Hussain upto February 3, 2015 in IM Explosive Seizure case,” DCP Crime (Bengaluru) Abhishek Goyal in a tweet said.
The Police custody of all the four suspects ended today.
Bengaluru Police on January 8 had claimed to have unearthed a terror module of IM with the arrest of its three alleged operatives and seizure of a huge cache of explosives during raids on their houses at Bhatkal in Uttara Kannada district and here.
The fourth alleged operative was arrested on January 11 at the Mangaluru international airport before flying to Dubai.
City Police Chief M N Reddi had earlier said that the suspects were part of a terror module that was used to procure, fabricate and deliver deadly explosives.
According to them police, the alleged IM operatives transferred money through Hawala channels for funding and at least one of them attended meetings in a foreign country, where a conspiracy was hatched to manufacture and deliver deadly explosives which were probably used for blasts in different parts of the country.
Meanwhile, Dr. Afaq’s defence counsel Advocate Sultan Beary, has maintained that his client is innocent, and has alleged that he has been framed.